Fun Facts about your Eyes
Eyes are amazing if you really think about it. That is why it is so important to make sure your eyes are in tip-top shape for the majority of your life. With the help of your doctor at Utah Valley Eye Center in Orem you can rest easy knowing your amazing eyes are safe. To show you just how amazing your eyes are, we have gathered some fun facts about your eyes below.
- Eyes heal quickly. With proper care, it only takes about 48 hours for the eye to repair a corneal scratch.
- Seeing is such a big part of everyday life that it requires about half of the brain to get involved.
- 80% of vision problems worldwide are avoidable or even curable.
- Each of your eyes has a small blind spot in the back of the retina where the optic nerve attaches. You don’t notice the hole in your vision because your eyes work together to fill in each other’s blind spot.
- Some people are born with two differently colored eyes. This condition is heterochromia.
- Newborns don’t produce tears. They make crying sounds, but the tears don’t start flowing until they are about 4-13 weeks old.
- Around the world, about 39 million people are blind and roughly 6 times that many have some kind of vision impairment.
- The cells in your eye come in different shapes. Rod-shaped cells allow you to see shapes, and cone-shaped cells allow you to see color.
- You blink about 12 times every minute.
Because our eyes are so amazing you will want to do everything you can to keep your eyes healthy and functioning. An annual appointment with your doctor at Utah Valley Eye Center in Orem can help you do just that. For more information regarding eye wear, vision problems, LASIK, or Eyelid Surgery, make sure you give us a call today and schedule your next appointment.